Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Tropical Christmas!

My favorite girl cousin came to visit me this past week. She and I went thrifting together which was a lot of fun! I was lucky enough to score a Christmas tree for only $10!!! The box was marked around 200! What luck!

We dragged it home and I immediately began assembling, it took about 6 hrs, but I am proud to say all the pieces were there, more luck! I stared long and hard at it the next day before deciding that this would be my "Tropical Christmas Tree"! I mean after all we are in Florida!

I have been hoarding the perfect fabric, "Kris Kringle in Paradise", a really great print from Michael Miller. The 2 prints have been sitting on my shelves marinating for years and I finally had the perfect thing to use them for, more luck!!

I found a tute on the internet and went to work on Saturday, cutting and measuring, binding and sewing, took me all day, but I am so happy with the end result! Super festive and it really brought my tree together once it was on.
I went out with my mom and found some beautiful ornaments, get this, they were called "tropical!" more luck! They are wonderful and I can't wait to search for more. I'm sure it will take years before I am really satisfied, but the wait will be worth it in the end I hope. Oh and if you would like to try the tute, I found it here. There were lots of great tuturials there.

Small warning though, the middle looks really wonky before cutting the center out. If I were going to do it again, I believe I would sew 2 petals together, four times and then assemble the pairs. I think that would help.

I plan on giving the elf stockings a go tomorrow! Hope everyone is having a little Holiday fun!

No comments: