Friday, January 15, 2010

My Sewing Slump!

Yes, I know that we all get them, but I really dislike a sewing slump! I love creating things and yet, my brain seems so bogged down!

Yesterday, I decided that in anticipation of Sewing Mamas Stash Game for February, I would clean my sewing room, top to bottom! I just knew that the juices would start flowing if everything were organized and pretty again! Not that it was a total disaster area, but things were definitely out of sorts.

I started by emptying out 2 big rubbermaid totes full of fabric that had accumulated in my corner. Most were ones that I was hoping to sell soon, but unfinished projects were also there, along with some books and things. After dumping things out I had a big mess on my hands. Including the dust bunnies that had happily made their home in my very neglected corner!
Luckily, my daughter had decided she no longer wanted a shelf of mine in her room, so I now had an organizing solution! This shelf system now holds my etsy offerings, my unfinished projects, fabrics that are being used at the moment, and those that I would like to purge soon. Please forgive my sad blue chair I purchased at goodwill over a year ago, with the intent on taking it home and recovering it, showing it's true potential. Well sadly it's great potential is still in hiding!

And then we move onto my Rocketeer desk, which couldn't really be seen before I started. It now has my 3 drawer serger thread station and this huge tote of scraps that still need to be gone through. Why must I save all of my scraps? I just have this fear that if I unload them, I will need them for something useful. That would be sad! So here they sit, but I really need a prettier solution, this thing is just ugly and clashes with the decor!!


Most of my fabrics have been folded and stashed away on their shelves. I tried to do a little bit of organizing, but I think I missed a few cubes. Have to get to that later on!

I do have a horrible hideous pile of denims sitting on top that will not fit anywhere! I did at least refold them so they look a litte prettier than when they were just thrown up there!
And that brings me to my buckets of storage on top. I promised myself that I would recover the striped ones so they would "pop" a little and improve the look of my shelving. Well no pop yet, it's still on my to-do list!
And then here are my other machines, sitting here begging to be used! I did at least wipe everything down and remove the lint from behind them. I can't believe how much gets stuck back there!


I hope that this will help anyone else that is in the middle of a sewing slump. I really do think that the more organized your space is the more you will accomplish and the happier it will make you feel! I am off now to find something to cut out! I can only hope that by the time the stash game starts in February my space will still be clean!

No comments: